Monday, January 16, 2012

Takayama Part 3 - Shunkei Lacquerware



Yet another reason to visit Takayama is the beautiful Shunkei Lacquerware. This type of lacquerware is only produced in Takayama and has been a tradition for around 400 years. This lacquer is simple and enhances the grain of the wood. There is no decoration on the lacquer and the colour is a redish-brown with a clear finish.

There is almost an unlimited amount of products that have been made using this technique and as you could guess, I have collected a few items on my travels to Takayama!


A traditional style vase

A modern vase

I am totally obsessed by boxes or 'bako' and the Japanese have a particular penchant for making excellent ones! I love the different compartments and the organisation of the Japanese. Everything has a place!


One of my favourite boxes (bako)

Plenty of compartments!
I think this lacquerware is so beautiful. I have given many pieces away as presents and everyone just loves the colour and clear sheen. I generally use the boxes for things like jewellery, on my bedside table where my nick-nacks go or anywhere in the house where I can find a place that isn't already covered in something from Japan!

The lacquerware can be found in many shops in Takayama and I would suggest browsing through a few of them as they do stock very different items. 

I love traveling to places and finding products that can only be found in that one place in the whole world. Shunkei lacquerware is one of these products and I highly recommend getting some for yourself!

Do you like the colour of the Shunkei lacquerware?

Would you by some products if you saw them?

G





No comments:

Post a Comment