Tuesday, January 31, 2012

1,000 Paper Cranes Starts With the First Fold

1,000 Paper Cranes Starts With the First Fold

My first exposure to Paper Cranes was in high school when my Japanese teacher got my class to fold 1,000 paper cranes to send to Hiroshima for the anniversary on August 6th.

Traditionally 1,000 paper cranes were given as a wedding gift by the father to wish the new couple 1,000 years of happiness. It is also believed that folding 1,000 paper cranes makes a person's wish come true. When the paper cranes have been folded, you string them together to be hung up or given as a gift. This is now called a senbazuru.

Most people who have heard of 1,000 paper cranes have heard of them because of Hiroshima. At the Hiroshima Peace Park Memorial there is a statue of Sadako Sasaki who was diagnosed with Leukemia as a result of the atomic bomb blast. She heard the legend of being granted a wish if you fold 1,000 paper cranes, so she undertook the task in the hope she would live. Sadly, she died of her illness and as a result people from around the world now fold paper cranes to be left at the memorial to show their love and respect for her.  You can see the paper cranes in specially constructed undercover areas near the base of the statue.


The statue of Sadako Sasaki in Hiroshima Peace Park

After visiting Hiroshima and the Peace Park I was profoundly emotionally affected. Seeing the millions of paper cranes at the memorial has inspired me to make my own set of 1,000 paper cranes (Senbazuru).

I purchased some beautiful origami paper a little while ago and I started to fold my paper cranes.

My first few paper cranes



Unfortunately I can't buy this beautiful paper in bulk so I went looking for some plain brightly coloured paper instead. Here is my stack of paper to be turned into cranes!



I am not sure how long this will take me but I will keep you posted on my progress!

G

No comments:

Post a Comment