Sunday, January 8, 2012

Takayama Part 1 - Sake Breweries

Takayama is one place in Japan you really must make the effort to visit.

It has so much to offer. It is in a mountainous area and as a result is known for is pristine natural beauty. In addition to its natural beauty and features Takayama offers unique handicraft and art that no other region in Japan can offer.

In fact Takayama has so much to see and do that it would be an injustice to try to cover it all in one post.

In this post I will cover the sake breweries.

Due to the clean waters and climate, Takayama is perfect for growing rice and brewing sake. As a result Takayama is home to several sake breweries which in January of each year open their doors and offer tours for visitors. One of the highlights of my time spent in Takayama was taking the sake tour and sampling the sake at the end! Needless to say I was fairly happy and slightly tipsy upon leaving the brewery. You can purchase sake directly from the brewery in either modern glass bottles or traditional containers.

Here are some of the sake bottles we purchased and posted home.

Our collection of Sake bottles

Each visitor is given a commemorative sake cup to sample the sake and take home with them. Here is my one.


Commemorative sake cup
Of all my sake bottles, this is my favourite. Its is black with a blue glaze. I just think it is so pretty. The lids of these earthen sake containers double as sake cups and have been glazed with the same colouring as the container. I hope to collect more of these gorgeous sake containers each time I visit Takayama.



The sake breweries should be on the top of everyone's list when they visit Takayama. As far as  am aware, they only open in January of each year which is right in the middle of winter. In my opinion winter is a fabulous time to visit Takayama. There is so much snow (which for an Aussie is quite a thrill!) and it gets pretty cold in the mornings and at night. But I love rugging up against the cold and the bright blue winter sky does warm you up during the day.

Takayama is a small mountain town that I will always try to visit each time I go to Japan.

Stay tuned for more on Takayama in my upcoming posts.

G

4 comments:

  1. Great blog. I have a friend who lives in Takayama, and operates a cycle-tour business - Satoyama Experience. The area is on my "must see" list. Your post has convinced me that I must go there.Looking forward to your next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Takayama is fantastic, definitely go there. Let me know if you want any more info on Takayama. I have only been there in Winter, but I think it is so much fun in the snow and cold! The sake warms you up anyway! I hope to run tours to Japan which will always include Takayama. I will look out for your friend's cycle tours.
    I have posted another blog on the Ichii Ittobori wood carvings and there is more to come on Takayama.
    Enjoy.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for you post. We are heading to Japan in May, and I am so keen in finding a Sake Brewery to visit...
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mirella,
    I hope you have a fantastic trip in May. If you have any questions you can email me at japaneseobsessiontravel@gmail.com or leave a message on my Facebook page ( Japanese obsession).
    I can make some suggestions for you to visit if you are stuck for ideas ;)

    G

    ReplyDelete