Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hiroshima Part 1 - Senjokaku (Pavillion of 1,000 Mats)

Senjokaku Hall is located on Miyajima which is a 20 minute ferry ride from Hiroshima. The hall is commonly known as the Pavilion of 1,000 mats which refers to its size. The Japanese used to (and sometimes still do) measure the size of rooms by how many tatami mats it could accommodate. Thus this large hall can house 1,000 tatami mats.
This particular hall was commissioned by Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1587 for the purpose of honouring fallen soldiers.

Upon first entering the hall you notice it is completely open. There are no walls and only a roof. While the wooden beams and floors are beautiful in their own way, the hall seems particularly sparse.....until you look up.

Completely occupying the ceiling are endless paintings of various themes and scenes. Unfortunately I only had a very short time to visit Senjokaku, but I tried to see as much of the paintings as possible. I am not sure of who some of the artists are or their historical significance, however I do recognise some of the paintings as some of the most famous battle scenes and hero Samurai in Japanese history. I wonder if these are some of the originals.

I have always loved the way the Japanese depict horses so I just fell in love with this painting.


My favourite horse painting
I love this one in particular as it is so simple. Just black ink forming a fabulous simple effect which I think shows a confident artist.

The next photo is a little hard to see, but I am sure it is from one of the famous battles of Japan where there are two famous horses and Samurai/leaders representing each side of the battle.
Below is the white horse with the Samurai swimming next to it.


I think this is the opposing black horse and Samurai.



I am not entirely sure what this is but it looked great hanging from the ceiling.


I really enjoyed looking at all the beautiful paintings suspended from the ceiling of this great hall. I plan to go back and spend a lot more time photographing and admiring the paintings. If you are on Miyajima you must stop by Senjokaku and have a look.

G

4 comments:

  1. Some beautiful paintings and looks like an amazing place to visit in Hiroshima :)

    Japan Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fascinating and there are so many paintings to see. I can't wait to go back!

      Delete
  2. Been there, seen/experienced it, and, as you said, well worth the time to visit. This complex, like most others in Japan, are an experience to behold, especially for one who comes from a country (Aotearoa) with a very short history.
    Great post.Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Coming from Australia I love walking through places and experiencing things that happened before explorers had landing on the shores of my country. Somehow in Japan, you can really feel the history and spirituality of the past. I just love it!

    G

    ReplyDelete